Mittwoch, 23. April 2014

School of English

In the course of our trip to England we attended a language-school, which has a really good reputation. Our form was divided in 4 groups, each with 14 pupils. Our teachers were, of course, native speakers. The teacher in my group was called Shwanee, a 38 year-old women from Bermuda.

The atmosphere in the classroom was really friendly and open because we all knew each other from school. Shwanees main aim was to make us speak constantly. I had a lot of conversations with pupils Ive never really talked to before, even if we were in the same school for ages.

Each day we started to cover a new vocabulary topic. Shwanee wrote some statements down on the blackboard and then handed out loads of sheets with different tasks on them. Usually, we started with a discussion with our partner, who was the person sitting next to us. Sometimes both of us had so much to say, that not even one could finish talking about the first statement when Shawnee asked us to stop and concentrate on the work sheets. Those I think were really difficult. There was a box with some new words to which we had to find the definition or synonyms. Then we had to fill in clozes. Most of the time I could not finish the exercises due to the speed of my colleagues who were, in my point of view, extremely fast.

All in all I think these lessons absolutely enlarged and improved my range of vocabulary. What is more is I now have much better relations to those students, which I am really happy about.

2 Kommentare:

  1. I loved all the vocabulary we learned, my absolutely favourite new word is "to put a kibosh on something". What is your favourite word?

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I really like your text and I also share your opinion about the conversations with our classmates, the worksheets and that we definitely improved our range of vocabulary.

    @Eva: KIBOSH! Definitely also MY new favourite word. That's just amazing.

    AntwortenLöschen